Tuesday, January 9, 2007

By crikey! What have we done?


I think the best thing about Christmas is when it's over! I'm sure plenty agree with me too. The rush leading up to it seems full of stuff that needs to be done and not enough time to be doing it - and that's not just the buying pressies thing.
It's this holiday season when heaps of friends and family who over the years have scattered themselves to the four winds, miraculously "come home" for a few days. This of course means we all have to try and get together for that once a year lunch, drink at the pub, bbq dinner or day at the cricket type arrangement. Fabulous to see everybody but it's odd isn't it that it can quite easily become a drag as it eats into the time you have to get the other stuff done!
I sound so positive don't I?! But it's the same for them too. They're here for a bit of a holiday, a bit of a relax with a good book, maybe spend a little time with Mum & Dad and they've got to worry about squeezing you into their already tight social calender! Why do we do it to ourselves? Of course, there is the up side and that will be what it is to each of you my learned readers, so I won't go into it here. But, what I will say is - Hey! isn't it great how little traffic there is on the roads in during those couple of weeks after Christmas!
Anyway, back to the title of this post. The last couple of weeks have been spent shopping; and I mean serious shopping! If I thought the build up to Christmas was expensive enough, that's nothing compared to preparing for the arrival of Little Wrightie!
It's not just a few items of baby clothing - oh no - (I've been assured we'll get plenty of that stuff given to us anyway!) It's all the stuff that needs to be done around the house that were just harmless items on a list which would get looked at but never really taken seriously. Well nothing like the impending arrival of the first kid to cattle prod one into action. We have bought oven, cooktop, rangehood, freezer, 4 ceiling fans, 3 light fittings, a large rug for the lounge room (as seen above - quite "Jetsons" like really), various items of baby apparel and I managed to score 3 pairs of new jeans in there somehow as well. We are now oficially broke! What the hell's going to happen when we have to feed the little blighter!?

No comments: